In our Alpine Bootcamp Skills Training (simulated conditions) you will learn how to be self-sufficient while travelling on snow and ice. The aim of this course is to provide you with the basic skills you will need to summit in winter conditions and it is recommended for people who wish to climb in areas such as the Alps, the Andes, the Himalayas and all the great mountain ranges of the world. The course is also suitable for those who wish to increase their general fitness and endurance in the outdoors. In a safe secure environment.
We include a practical lesson on climbing equipment and other gear required. Such as your climbing harness and we train you to be proficient in the use of crampons, ice axes, ski poles and other climbing equipment. You will also learn certain techniques used in glacier travel, crevasse rescue, fixed rope techniques. And abseiling in the comfort of controlled, simulated weather conditions.
We recommend that you pack as per our list for the expedition to Mount Elbrus. Hire and purchase of necessary equipment is available at the Mountain Lodge. You can test any new equipment you have and ask us any questions you may have regarding. Your current clothing and equipment. By undertaking this course you will increase your knowledge and proficiency. Before going climbing in the harsh conditions associated with expeditions and winter mountaineering.
Skills covered include:
- Use and fitting of equipment: boots, helmet, harness, emergency pack, ski poles, ropes, ascenders, slings, Prusicks, chocks, cams.
- Belaying: securing yourself and others to the mountain, lowering and taking in using slings and other devices.
- Glacier crossing: safe use of ice axe and crampons.
- Ropework: how to tie in, safely move as a team, quick belay using an ice axe.
- Crevasse rescue: self-rescue, assisted rescue, pulley and Z methods.